Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Fueled.

“I want to discourage you from choosing anything or making any decision simply because it is safe.Things of value seldom are.” Toni Morrison



Be warned that the thoughts within this poem are fueled.

I hold these thoughts responsible to the experiences

I have lived

due to what my:

race,

gender,

and social class means,

within the context of the United States...

Here, “in my country”, which I am reluctant to call it

( because many eyes directed upon the color of my skin regard me as less than an American).


THEREFORE, Be warned that when I speak of the people,

I speak of the voiceless;

the ones who America has left hopeless and naked of

respect,


THEREFORE, I have accepted that there are no truths

only the “truths” that have been placed into existence

by those who hold enough power

to exercise it over those

who have little power.


THEREFORE, this poem is dedicated to:

the forgotten,

the untouchables, and

the oppressed

that search for the empty opportunities of America’s freedom

within the garbage

that the more privilege thought was not good enough for them to have.


THEREFORE, I have learned that you must learn what you function within,

you read the masters thinkers in order to speak the language of the oppressor.

You function within the system in order to render it powerless.

you revolutionize society

you work within

you make the system work for you

when it is not enough

you fight stronger

YOU SPEAK

until their ears can do nothing more than hear you

YOU make them understand that we demand what is rightfully ours

we have paid our dues

we demand

...DIGNITY, RESPECT, and true FREEDOM.

if not we will give them no peace.


-Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment