Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Grace...OVERrated?

I've been thinking about what this word GRACE means. I realized that I have used it after every one of my "here is what I think, take it or leave it" rants. Yet, when I use it, it is only to say that the recipient of my words grants grace upon my words as I have granted grace upon their actions. However, I am convinced that GRACE goes far beyond that.

As many know, I am the first to say that I do not know much about God or Jesus, however, this idea of GRACE I have learned from their teachings (Well, ultimately what people have taught me about their teachings...yet that is another blog in its entirety). I believe that Grace is offered as a "pass" per se, to those who have done wrong to you. In a way it is humbling yourself to allow people to make mistakes...I think.

This week I was having a conversation with one of the girls I am going to Camden with this summer. And I was also asked a question like this by one my really close mentor/friend the other night.

I have been given the drive to re-start something within the pits of the ghettos that I believe was left undone. Yet, in my journey of learning I have grown a strong callous for many of the white students I come across. In first meetings, I question their motives and their heart. However, I seldom do this to those who are not of the white race.

I say this because, yes, I have seen the destructiveness that their people have done to my people. I have read about their in activeness to correct their past wrongs. But I wonder when will I offer GRACE to them. It is hard to hear the words they speak and return to the ghettos, where their speech has been limited.

I am constantly bothered by this.

Even within the revolution where will the white race participate?

I also want to note before I go any further. I do not believe that whites are all bad because they are white. I believe because the position in society that they are so easily handed makes them unaware and harder to teach. If one sits above the system and believes that what they are sitting on is a thrown given to them because of their hard work, when will they ever get to hear the people screaming below them, or the dead bodies stacked firmly enough to allow their bottom a place to rest.

Therefore, this is where my frustration lies. I believe when the revolution takes place it will be hard enough to educate the oppressed about their chains then to educate the oppressors about why their wealth is not theirs.

I would also want to note that when I say revolution I am only speaking about educating the ghettos. I believe if you bring revival to the people, they will compete when they understand the "shitty" (for lack of better terms) hand they have been given.

Now going back, (I warned my thoughts are quite random and not together) I trust that there will be more experiences in my life that would ultimately show me, who I am to offer grace. Because this time in my thinking, I believe that those who are not for our advancement are only against us. Therefore, as we can not sleep in peace, neither should they.

--Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment