Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Unions,Time, Violent Revolutions Part 1

Picture of the Day:

Quote of the Day:

"they tell me i'm bound to fall yet steadily still i climb"
Mickey TaeLor
__________________________________________________________________

Today, I have thoughts on three different topics. At the moment they are very different, yet connected, I am going to include them all in this blog. I figured for the most part many of my thoughts are independent of one another, yet connected.

Unions.
Stagnant Time.
Violent Revolutions.

Unions. This past Saturday I went with my mom downtown to protest with the rest of the Los Angeles unions. The week before the LA mayor began to bargain with furlough days or discontinued pensions. After seeing the uprising of the Wisconsin unions join together, the Los Angeles unions came together.

Power is everywhere, more so the misuse of power.

I watched as the head of one of the s down the marching line to join in and everyone looked towards her in admiration. She shook hands with a practiced politicians' smiles.

I have not fully thought out how I feel about unions as of yet. However, at a glance I feel like they're the same as any organization that started off for the people, plagued with bad power dynamics.

I was amazed by the mass of people who came out. Yet signs read about saving the Middle Class...



I know what I'm thinking about can be deduced to thinking too much like a utopian/imaginary/unrealistic/optimistic fashion, yet it just worries me when people are too consumed with their own situation. I guess why would it be any other way.

However, what if the people joined together to really discuss how we could be better together. If they think the middle class has it bad they should look down the street at downtown LA. I know it's not a possibility at the moment, it would just be interesting if rich, poor, middle class...people (who we were first) would think about ways we could all benefit, so all people could have at least the basic necessities to living.

If Capitalism is all about good competition, lets all start off on the same playing field... allow us to compete.

Overall feelings about the union march.

union power dynamics are so off, things should be reconsidered, re-evaluated.
we must consider the implication of our words... if we are for the middle class, who are we against...

I was offered an internship that day to work with a union that day...

I think I'll touch on those other topics another time. Or later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment